Numismatics news, coin market, precious metals, analytics, experts
Enter a name
Search
Rape of Proserpina
Похищение Прозерпины
Presented by
Power Coin (Italy)
Nominal value
10 dollars
Weight
56,7
Diameter
38,61
Metal
Silver 999°
Mintage
999
Production quality
World first Two-Sides Smartminting Technology, Marble effect, Black Proof, High Relief with very high details.
Designer
Antonello Galletta, Director Power Coin (Italy)
Producer
BH-Mayer (Germany)
Description of obverse and reverse
The obverse of the coin reproduces the back view of the sculpture, using the same finishes and marble effect. All around of the obverse, a beautiful decorative pattern. On the left side, the Coat of Arms of Palau and the inscriptions: “REPUBLIC OF PALAU” – the issuing country and “10 DOLLARS” – the face value. 

The reverse of the coin reproduces the incredible front view of the famous sculpture by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the Rape of Proserpina. An exceptional high relief and the use of a special paint to recreate the sculpture’s natural marble look, emphasizes the extraordinary beauty of this piece of art in miniature. All around the reverse, a floral decorative pattern completes the coin. On the right side of the reverse, the wonderful logo of the series and the inscriptions: “ETERNAL SCULPTURES” - the name of the series and “RAPE OF PROSERPINA” – the name of the coin. On the bottom of the reverse, the year of issue written in Roman numbers: “MMXVIII” - 2018.
A brief annotation
The Rape of Proserpina (Italian: Ratto di Proserpina) is a large Baroque marble sculptural group by Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini, executed between 1621 and 1622. Bernini was only twenty-three years old at its completion. It depicts the Abduction of Proserpina, where Proserpina is seized and taken to the underworld by the god Pluto. As with many of Bernini's early works, it was commissioned by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, possibly alongside a portrait of Scipione's uncle Pope Paul V (who had died in 1621). Bernini received at least three payments for the statue, of value of at least 450 Roman scudi. The sculpture was begun in 1621 and completed in 1622. Quite soon after completion, the statue was given by Scipione to Cardinal Ludovisi in 1622, who transported it to his villa. Purchased by the Italian State, it returned to the Villa Borghese in 1908.
New issue
№ 2 (59) 2022
№ 2 (59) 2022
Новости партнеров
;