The Bank of Lithuania
Copper-aluminium-nickel alloy ( the ring), copper-nickel alloy (the core)
Proof Enamel-covered pad-printing coins.
Graphic design and sculptor model is made by sculptor Giedrius Paulauskis.
Description of obverse and reverse
The obverse features the coat or arms of Lithuania with the inscriptions LIETUVA and 2 LITAI arranged in a semi-circle.
The reverse of each coin features the coat of arms of each resort in the centre, the names of each resort, accordingly, inscribed above it and 2012 at the bottom.
The edge of the coins has 105 rims (5 sectors with 21 rims in each, arranged at irregular intervals).
A brief annotation
Four coins from the series “Lithuanian resorts”;
Birštonas was mentioned by Wigand of Marburg in his New Prussian Chronicle in 1382 as Birsten, location near salty springs. Birštonas resort was founded in 1846.
On 20 June 1794, Stanislaw August Poniatowski, the ruler of Poland and Lithuania, decleared Druskininkai a health resort.
Neringa, a town on the Curonian Spit, was founded in 1961, when the separate settlements of Nida, Preila, Pervalka and Juodkrantė were joined. It is a 50 km long strip of sand. In 2000, the territory of the Curonian Spit was included into the UNESCO World Heritage list.
The settlement of Palanga was first mentioned in the agreement between the Livonian Order and Courland in 1253 as Palange. In the second half of the 19th century, through the efforts of the Count Tyszkiewicz family, Palanga became a well-known health resort.